Leaving golf balls in the laying boxes

Crash812

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 3, 2014
We placed golf balls in our hens laying box this last summer so they could get use to having hard white objects around. We never have taken them out. We place three in each of the two boxes. The hen only will lay in the left box, never the right. Now over the last couple days, they have been moving the three out of the right box and putting them in the left. Kind of weird and interesting. Should we just remove them, or let them keep "playing" with them?

I never put anything in my nest boxes. Wasnt expecting eggs for another 2-3 weeks, but was amazed when we found 5 eggs the other day. 3 the next day. When they ready, I guess they ready. I would just take them out

Hmmmm.... that is interesting.
I wonder how they(she) move them??
Would be great if you have a cam in there to see just what and who is doing what when.
Are your nests on the floor?

Gathering eggs from other nests can happen when a hen goes broody, she maybe thinking about it.

I use golf ball/fake eggs 1 or 2 in each nest and I switch them around once in a while, sometimes I take some or all of them out. One of the girls in my pullet coop wouldn't lay in the nest until I took the golf ball out, I guess she didn't like it ....but it didn't bother her later after she'd been laying awhile.

Maybe they're playing chicken soccer at night.
1f604.png

Back
Top Bottom