Leaving my chickens overnight- should I keep them shut in the coop until I get back?

liz_s

Songster
May 16, 2010
Washington State
Hello!

I'm going somewhere overnight this weekend. Depending on the advice I (hopefully) get from this post, I'll either be leaving before or after I put my three girls to sleep that night, but regardless I won't be returning until the afternoon of the next day.

My coop isn't super big, but it's big enough that they comfortably hang out in there when it's too cold and they don't feel like coming out. The door to it is the size of a doggy-door. It's attached to a run that I can close so it's predator-proof. I can put food and water in there.

I'm not sure if I should close the coop that night with food and water in there and just let them out the next afternoon, or if I should leave the coop door open overnight but close the run. For the first option, I just don't know how they would react to not being let out (they free-range in my backyard during the day). For the second option, I'm concerned that it's too cold and they might not fare well with the open door.

I would appreciate any advice on this! It's the first time I've had to leave them overnight in the winter, and I am at a loss about what to do.

Thanks!

Liz

The safest thing is to leave them in the coop. They are always in the coop at night, and you will come back in the afternoon to let them out of the coop.

I think if they have food and water they will be fine.

Thanks! I was definitely leaning towards leaving them in the coop, and you guys have made me feel much better about doing it. I appreciate it!

Liz

don't know where in washington you are, i'm 20 miles from olympia..... i have 7 week olds in my coop and attached secure run..there is not even a door on my coop,, just a 2ft.x 2 ft. hole so they go in n out when they want... the cold is not a problem for them and it gets into the 20's........ they've been outside with no heat for 2 weeks......... so if your run is secure i'd leave the door open....

They will be fine in the coop with food and water, just be prepared for the stink eye your gonna get for being late lol.

Well, good news, they all made it! And DanEP you were right about the stink eye! As soon as I opened up the door they all ran out. It was hilarious! Darin367 I'm in Spokane, and it was pretty windy last night, so I'm glad I left the door shut. As the weather gets warmer (hopefully) I will definitely be leaving the door open!

Thanks for the advice everybody!

Liz

Back
Top Bottom