Leaving Radio on do any good?

I just started using one on a 24/7 talk station to get skittish chicks used to human voices.
It's barely audible outside brooder house though. Haven't noticed predators in a while but it sure doesn't work for mice.

Good idea to get chicks used to human voices
smile.png

We once tryed putting radios everywhere on 100 acres of tomatoes to keep the deer from eating the newly planted plants. Discovered they were not affected by country music, actually they got worse, but hated the rap music! Animals are strange creatures. You just never know what they will react to.

it will give them something to listen too while they are eating. they get used to it by testing if anything happens as they " come in" if nothing happens to them , then they will frequently lose their fear of people since they were conditioned to not fear when they heard voices

My DH and I use to have a landlord who used Country music to keep coyotes away from her sheep at night. I don't know if that is what kept coyotes from the barn at night or the fact it was less then 100 feet from the barn to the house but, she never has had a coyote in her barn at night. I can tell you it will not keep mountain lions out, she lost several sheep to one. My personal opinion is that the critters are likely to get used to it and come around regardless. Especially if they are hungry enough, I doubt much could stop them short of someone actually fireing a gun. Maybe you could try a light that comes on when motion is detected? I have always thought it would be a sure fix if I could come up with a light coupled with a sound effect of a single gun shot and maybe even a sprinkler when motion was detected. Now if I coud only figure out how.....
idunno.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom