1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

leaving run door always open

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 5kfarms, Jan 4, 2016.

1. 5kfarms

5kfarms New Egg

Jan 4, 2016
    Georgia
    I have 24 hens and 2 rooster and for the last month i let them go as they please. I keep the door to the run open 24/7 now. 1/2 sleep outside in the run and 1/2 in the coop. They are in about a 1/2 acre area thats fenced with goat fence. There are 2 large great pyrenees in with them. Anyone think predators will get them? The dogs are pretty protective.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] There is always the possibility of predation. I would be particularly concerned of aerial predation by Great Horned Owls.

3. 5kfarms

5kfarms New Egg

Jan 4, 2016
    Georgia
    The dogs seem to really watch the hawks at least during the day. When they fly over they follow them until they leave. Will an owl fly through the run door and snag one off the perch.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Owls have been known to do that.

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I wouldn't recommend leaving the run door open 24/7. If your coop door opens into the run, you could leave the coop door open for the chickens to go in and out to the run, but I personally would not risk leaving the run door open. Even with LGD, losses can still happen.

6. happyfeet24

happyfeet24 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2015
    Missouri
    My run is secure I keep it open when above freezing at night I always close my coop door even though I do have a great pyraneese looking out.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by