leaving run door always open

5kfarms

Hatching
Jan 4, 2016
Georgia
I have 24 hens and 2 rooster and for the last month i let them go as they please. I keep the door to the run open 24/7 now. 1/2 sleep outside in the run and 1/2 in the coop. They are in about a 1/2 acre area thats fenced with goat fence. There are 2 large great pyrenees in with them. Anyone think predators will get them? The dogs are pretty protective.

welcome-byc.gif
There is always the possibility of predation. I would be particularly concerned of aerial predation by Great Horned Owls.

The dogs seem to really watch the hawks at least during the day. When they fly over they follow them until they leave. Will an owl fly through the run door and snag one off the perch.

welcome-byc.gif

I wouldn't recommend leaving the run door open 24/7. If your coop door opens into the run, you could leave the coop door open for the chickens to go in and out to the run, but I personally would not risk leaving the run door open. Even with LGD, losses can still happen.

My run is secure I keep it open when above freezing at night I always close my coop door even though I do have a great pyraneese looking out.

Back
Top Bottom