leaving the run open. ..?

Ever1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 5, 2014
I brought my chickens home on Thursday they are 6 months old, it is now Tuesday. I have not gotten any eggs since they have been home. I do leave the run open all day. Will they go up on their own to lay? Or should I leave them in the coop longer in the morning to give them a chance to lay?

Hi and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Leave some golf balls or easter eggs in the nesting boxes to give them a hint! But yes they should go in on there own.

Last edited:
As long as there are places for them to lay inside the coop, they will choose to go there to lay their eggs.
It seems they are still going thru their adjustment period; it takes some hens a week or two to get back into their laying habit.
You might want to just put a few eggs from the fridge in their nests to encourage them. :D

Thanks for the tips! I keep worrying I'm doing something wrong. But yes there is two nesting boxes with pine shavings dusted with DE. The coop is made of red cedar, with a drop down ramp which I have been just leaving open to tier run under. My hubby and I are going to expand the whole thing this weekend to give them a bigger coop and run, as well as insulate for winter!

Thanks again!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! If the run is enclosed and they can't get out of the run to hide eggs, you don't really need to keep them locked in the coop. Moving to a new home often stresses hens enough that they will quit laying for a few weeks or even months, they should start up again. Do you know if they were laying in their old home?

Yes they were laying, and they had to stay over night at grandma's house for 3 nights while we got the coop put up and our permit and they were laying eggs there. I will try the golf ball and see if that works. I'm sure they are stressed, I have been giving them bugs and corn for treats to try to make them happy!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Kelsie X2 Newly moved hens can stop laying for several weeks until they get adjusted to their new home. Just move quietly around them, keep the stress and noise down around the coop and give them time to feel at home. They should start laying soon. :)

The eggs they laid at grandma's house were properly coming down the pipe line before then. It can takes weeks for chickens to see secure in their new surroundings. Everything loves to eat chicken, so they are stressed by new things. Don't go overboard on treats or like kids with candy, they will prefer that to their well balanced feed.

If you free range at all they may be laying eggs in hidden nests, or distant areas where you don't see them. Predators may be swiping the eggs also.

They will be fine, if you just have some patience with them. Welcome to BYC.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You've been given some good advice by the other BYC members. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom