Leek and Potato Soup

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Felicitas, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

I made this tonight for dinner. It's very rich and hearty and great for cold weather. It's not low-fat at all, but since it's soup, most things in here can be substituted. Also, the bacon can be omitted and vegetable broth used to make it a vegetarian soup.

3 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 strip of bacon
    3 leeks (white and pale green parts only), sliced (about 2.5 - 3 cups)
    1 small onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons water
    1/2 pound red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    1 sprig of fresh rosemary
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 cup whipping cream

Cut the leeks in half, lengthwise. Peel off and discard the tough green parts at the top. Chop the leeks into half moons, or to desired size and texture. Put them in a bowl of iced water and swish them around. Let them sit for 10 minutes or so, and all the grit will fall to the bottom of the bowl. Drain.

Melt butter and olive oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Put in the strip of bacon and let it cook. When the bacon is cooked, remove it. For a slightly smokier flavor to the soup, drain and chop up the bacon finely and put the pieces back in, or leave it out entirely. Add garlic to the butter/oil mixture; let it brown. Add onion and 2 tablespoons water. Cook for a few minutes, then add leeks. Cook until leeks are just golden, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes, broth, thyme, rosemary sprig and bay leaf; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove rosemary and bay leaf. Stir in cream. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Serves about 4 or 5.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    OH YUMMM! [​IMG]

3. MrsShag

MrsShag Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    mmmmmmmmmmm

I think Shag should make this tomorrow! [​IMG]