Left out chicken

JoMilk

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2020
I have 5 chickens and 1 is always left out. She got injured a few days ago so I don't know if that has to do with it. Everytime another chicken gets close to her, she tries to stay away sometimes. They don't let her eat and leave her alone at night when they sleep. Is there something I can do?

Last edited:
As noted by @cottontail farm , more than one feed and water station. If she has not eaten much (or anything) for a day or two, take her to a separate area and feed her scrambled eggs/ wet feed. Put her back after she eats, don’t keep her away from the flock. Do this a couple times a day for a couple of days, and she should get her energy back, and can hopefully fend for herself.

we’ve had bullied hens that get kept from the feed/water. If you put the feed/water fairly far apart, then they won’t monitor all of them. If tight on space, then create a blind of sorts- a covered area that can’t be seen from all areas of the run, but has feed. We had success in putting a block with a hook on the far end of the elevated coop and hanging a feeder over there. We had a roof over that side, extending 6’ + past the coop, so feed stayed dry.

FWIW, we’ve had an “introverted” hen in the past. She was not low in pecking order, she just never wanted to be with the other hens. Even from young pullet age, she roosted away from the flock (on a different roost bar by herself but in the coop with the others), and she mostly kept to herself.

What is her injury @JoMilk ?
How old are your birds?
How big is your coop and run?
Dimensions and pics would help here.
She got bit by a dog. The chickens are about a year and a half old. I do not know the dimensions of the coop, sorry.
IMG_20200412_071851096.jpg

Back
Top Bottom