Leftover starter feed

magicjeep

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 8, 2013
I have about 10lbs of leftover medicated starter feed and about 10lbs of grower feed. My birds are about15 weeks old so I'm going to be switching to layer feed soon from what I understand. Can I mix the starter and grower feed I start running low instead of buying another bag of grower?

Well the medication being harmful when unnecessary is a debated point but since they've been getting it all along anyway, just use it up.

Just to clarify they haven't had the medicated starter feed for the last 8 weeks or so. The 2 reasons I'm asking about using up the starter feed is because 1. I don't want to throw it out (unfortunately I won't be getting anymore chickens anytime soon) & 2. I might come up short with the grower feed. As far as reason 2 I was reading on here I can switch them to layer feed a little earlier than 18 weeks. So I guess that makes it that I just don't want to waste the food but if the medication affects the eggs being edible than I'd rather waste the food than use it. If anyone needs about 10lbs of medicated starter feed let me know.

I would feed the two mixed together. But should you find yourself with new birds again, use up the starter as you transition over to grower, it should have been used up prior. But you have what you have, and I don't see any health issue for you nor your birds. Just a thought for others with similar circumstance.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

Back
Top Bottom