Leg Band size?

WoodchuckMeadow

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
Hi, Everyone! Just joined today, and I have a question.

I have eggs due to hatch April 7. All are marked by date and where they were found. (Each lay in a different spot). As they hatch, I would like to put color coded leg bands on them so I know who came from where and who. Not sure what size to get, I would probably have to get a couple sizes and replace when they got too small? What are the best types to use? Depending on if I kept any, they would be permanent.

Thanks for any input!

Hannah

welcome-byc.gif
Hi Hannah,

I go out and by those different colord plastic cable ties ones you can pick out different colors and different sizes as they grow so yo can keep changing them as the leg grows. I put them on just loose enough that they do not fall over the feet ad they can grow in a little then you keep changing them as they grow and they grow fast...
I buy the different colors so I can put one color on one leg as to which hatch they came from and if by chance I know the sex put another one on the other leg for male blue and female red. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
zip ties/ cable ties are best for rapidly growing goslings. You wont buy permanent leg bands until fall then you will need to look according to breed sizes 11- 14 are most common

Back
Top Bottom