Leg Banding

CollieCountess

In the Brooder
May 21, 2024
Sorry to ask so many questions.

I just got 5 barred rocks, and one is special needs. So I need to be able to identify her at a glance.

My plan was to use colored zip ties to mark who is who, but I've heard mixed things about zip ties? Are they safe, or do I need to find a different leg band?

Also, what does your leg band system look like? I have a few other birds to band as well. I have some 7 week old chicks, and I can't tell a few apart.

My plan was to pick a color, put that on one leg, to mark them as mine. All my neighbors have chickens, so I want to know who's mine.

Then mark the chicks I bought this year with one color on the other leg, the adult hens I was gifted with another color, and put another band on that leg to mark who is who.

Obviously, I probably need a spreadsheet or some sort of list to remind myself who is who.

Sorry to ask so many questions.

I just got 5 barred rocks, and one is special needs. So I need to be able to identify her at a glance.

My plan was to use colored zip ties to mark who is who, but I've heard mixed things about zip ties? Are they safe, or do I need to find a different leg band?

Also, what does your leg band system look like? I have a few other birds to band as well. I have some 7 week old chicks, and I can't tell a few apart.

My plan was to pick a color, put that on one leg, to mark them as mine. All my neighbors have chickens, so I want to know who's mine.

Then mark the chicks I bought this year with one color on the other leg, the adult hens I was gifted with another color, and put another band on that leg to mark who is who.

Obviously, I probably need a spreadsheet or some sort of list to remind myself who is who.
What you describe will probably work.

It also works to cut the tail feathers short: very visible at a distance, and does not hurt the chicken. Disadvantages are that it looks ugly, and needs to be redone each time the chicken molts.

They seem safe enough, as long as you do not make them too tight, and if you cut off the extra so it cannot get pulled and make the tie tighter.

Do any of your neighbors mark their chickens with zip ties or any other kind of legband? If none of them mark their birds. that would mean all birds with zip ties on their legs belong to you, so you do not need an extra zip tie to show ownership.

Or put the year band on one leg and let the band for each individual be on the other leg, if you don't need a special band to say they are yours.

Yes, you will probably need a way to keep track of them, which could be a spreadsheet or a notebook or a list written on a scrap of paper or anything else that works for you.

If you train yourself to be consistent in which band you list first (right leg or left, upper or lower if they have two on one leg), it will be easier. That lets you keep straight which one is white/black and which one is black/white (same band colors, opposite legs for different birds.) Personally, I list chicken legband colors from left to right and top to bottom, because that is the way I am used to reading words on a page, so it seems like the obvious order for me. I can't say what will work best for you.

Back
Top Bottom