1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leg Bands too small?... My "bigfoot" Orpingtons

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DawnSuiter, Mar 10, 2009.

1. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought a size 12 for my Orpingtons and they outgrew them before they even hit 6 months old!! I only used half dozen of the bands and they ALL outgrew them.

I can't believe I have to get them a size designed for CANADA GEESE!!!???!!!

are my birds too big?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2009
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I imagine you know the info in this thread, but I went to check before I responded and thought I'd just add the link. Size 12 is the recommended size for Orpingtons.

When I was researching breeds, the size of Orpingtons was one of the hardest to pin down. I saw sites that said full-grown Orp hens were 6-1/2 pounds with other sites ranging all the way up to 8 pounds. I have trouble believing there is this much discrepency in the size of full grown Orp hens if they have been given proper nutrition, although I could see some variation due to strains.

Where I am headed with all this random rambling is, maybe you have a new strain of Orps, the "bigfoot" strain.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=126202

3. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] "bigfoot" strain

maybe so! [​IMG]

I'm expecting 8lb hens and 10-12lb Roosters but I certainly WASN"T expecting CANADA GEESE sized Orps! LOL

Almost ALL of my orps are this size too... there are only 4 little buff hens from a local farmer that I would call small. AND NO ONE is a year old yet!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by