Leg Bands

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mjdtexan, Dec 1, 2009.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Any of yall use those little bands that goes on the chickens legs? In about 4 or 5 more weeks I will be adding the 20 chicks to the main flock. I am wanting to add chicks every spring but I want to keep track of which chickens are which and how old they are.

Where is a good place to buy them?

2. PaintedGemsRanch

PaintedGemsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    I use them. I separate my breeds and "sex" them (we shall see how accurate I am haha) I use the liiiittttlllleeeee zip ties from lowes. They come in a big tube like container, all sorts of colors. They are easily cut with a pair of finger nail clipers (if that tells you how small they are). I know others use the colored bands people use on braces and said they work well, no cutting involved there.

Edit to say, this is what I use on my babies... If I werent able to tell them apart at an older age I suppose I would use those spiral bands but since I havent used them I have no advice there.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  3. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Thank You. The little zip ties sound like a good idea

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I use the zip ties, but you have to watch them. Don't want to get one imbedded in a growing leg. I have seen some really nasty pictures. I check mine at least once a week.

In this pic you can see I used multiples to color code the birds. I had 4 colors and read 3 ties from top to bottom. BPY has been renamed "Mighty Mouse"
    color coded

Matt

5. Brick243

Brick243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southeast Oklahoma
    I use the little colored zip ties. They work real good. Just don't let them get to tight. You can also toe punch, I use a small metal pick.

6. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

A question I was just pondering earlier today, thanks for asking and for the great replies!

7. PaintedGemsRanch

PaintedGemsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    I put them on day olds and they just turned a week old a few days ago and I have changed their bands twice already. They grow fast andim paranoid so I check them daily when I give fresh water and change their bedding.

Edit to add photo:
    He has the yellow on the left leg: Yellow for breed, left leg for "Male" (we will see how "feather sexing" works... hmmm)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  8. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    you can also toe bunch...I use the spiral bands for older birds and I got mine from...um...dang..i had it...um...a pigeon supply place...darn...

By the way...love the avatar! If only I had saved the money I spent on that at the Dixie Chicken... [​IMG]

9. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Cutler supply is the place to buy the numbered bands. They have they up tp 100 in all colors. They also have wind tags too. One of the cheapest on the net and you can get a catalog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by