Leg bands?

That's an idea I haven't thought of. Would they get pecked at (the bands or feet)? Would any certain color be better?
I feel a little bad if I use rubber bands.

I have used a little spray paint on a couple so I could tell them apart. No ill effects that I could see. Just a little green on the tail.

Interesting idea about paint.... I have heard of people putting nail polish on chicken toenails....and wasn't it food color that they used to dye the chicks at Easter years ago??

Some harmless way to tell them apart would be great. Now my brain has some gears turning inside.
The spray paint works very well. Just a dot will last for 3-4 months. I have a few Rhode Island Reds and you cannot tell them apart to save your life. My daughter now knows which is her favorite (Jewel is what she nemed it), it has a green spot on the tail.

I use spiral keychain wristbands. Cut the coil into overlapping rings. They stay on well, and they don't dig in to the leg as the bird grows. Walmart sells them in packs of three, but I've ordered a bigger variety of colors on Amazon.

I cut a pipe cleaner and wrapped it around the upper part of the leg. It seems to work ok. I'll post pics today. :)

Recently on BYC I came across the idea of using zip ties. So, I ran out to the dollar store and bought a tube with 4 colors in it. The zip ties have worked perfectly with our 3week old chicks. Now we can tell our 4 breeds apart without having to pick them up and examine each one. For example, we chose blue for the araucanas since we expect them to lay bluish eggs...the gold laced Wyandottes have orangey-yellow bands...etc. As the chicks grow we will cut off the zip ties and put new ones on. Very easy and inexpensive.

Back
Top Bottom