1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Leg deformity

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Beastie, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Beastie

Beastie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    I have a 2 month old barnyard mutt chick that I suspect is a cockrel. He's a Russian orloff/delaware mix. He started developing curled toes and by the time I really noticed he wouldn't keep the little braces I made on. I wasn't overly concerned with the curled toes because I've read that they can still lead a pretty normal life with them, however he has now seemed to also develop a larger issues where one of his legs twists out to the side. I'm not sure if it is from him compensating for the toe issue or if he injured himself in the brooder (his name is Popcorn because he would hop around like crazy when he got excited). The bottom of the brooder is pine shavings. He gets around alright but does seem like he is struggling sometimes. He eats, drinks, and even tries to spar with his sisters. We are in the process of transferring them to the coop with the adults and so far he has held his own fairly well while he's out there, he seems scared of the big chickens but he can and does get away from them when they pick on him, if they get really mean he will hop up and flap his wings and get away from them that way. I am just worried about his quality of life. Should I just let it play out for a while and see how he does and if it gets worse? He's a cool little dude and I'm pretty fond of him I just don't want him to suffer.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would put him on poultry vitamins with minerals, since some foot and leg problems can be from a deficiency, usually in the parent stock. There are several different leg deformities that can occur in poultry such as virus valves deformity, tibia dyschondroplasia, and others. Many get worse as the chicken matures, sometimes rupturing the hock tendon. Do his toes curl into a claw or do they curl out sideways? Many people will let chicks develop and try to get along as best they can, and then may decide to cull them if they appear to suffer. A lot of it depends on whether you have the time to give him extra attention. Some do well, but just have a handicap.

3. Beastie

Mar 11, 2014
    I have been giving him polyvsol without iron but it doesn't seem to be making a difference. I will try and get a picture today, his toes do curl in but the leg is turned out.

4. Beastie

Mar 11, 2014
    [​IMG]best picture I could get, little bigger wouldn't stay still.

5. bowe0508

bowe0508 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2014
    I have a chicken with one leg we had to cut it off because of a infection when it was a chick but it turned out to be fine,but I would be careful when it gets older and especially in the winter because mine is injured very badly because the other chickens pecked and clawed at her so bad.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by