Leg Feathering

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Pyxis, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    If a feather legged bird mates with a non-feather legged bird, what are the odds that the chicks will have feathered legs? I have a batch of eggs from my birds due to hatch tomorrow (the first batch from my birds ever :) ) and I was wondering if I would be able to tell who daddy bird is by looking at leg feathering. Thanks for any help!

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    the Odds are very high, I say 100% of them(if the father is the feathered shank sire) will show some feathering on their shanks, but less than their father

3. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

they probably will have feathering, just not as much as the purebred.

4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I am not great with genetics, but I will try to share my understanding of leg feathering..

It is not a case of leg feathering or not leg feathering. It is a case of dominant and recessive genes. With genotypes there are three possibilities...

FF = Feathering showing AND carring only dominant feathering gene.
    Ff = Feathering showing, but carring a recessive non-feathering gene
    ff = NO Feathering

If your rooster is a FF, then the offspring can be expected to be 100% Ff or feathered.
    If your rooster if a Ff, then the offspring can be expected to be 25% not feathered and 75% feathered (with 25% FF and 50% Ff)

I am NOT an expert in this. It is my understanding of how it works. I hope it helps you out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by