leg feathers?

autumnprairie

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 8, 2011
when do chicks get leg feathers are they born with the leg feathers? :confused:

I have hatched out 6 so far but I think they are BO and no Buff Cochins
I want to hatch out some cochin eggs too.
PLEASE help

I have 2 week old Cochins and most have leg feathers....
and all had some kind of feathering when they were 4-5 days old...

I have Black, Blue, Silver laced, Partridge and White Cochins...can't wait to see them grown since
they are so adorable, plump, feathered, fuzzy chicks already

Our rooster is a cochin and all of our hens are breeds without leg feathers. We've hatched out about 24 of these mixes and all had leg feathers at hatch. It got thicker over time of course, but you could definitely see the leg or toe fuzz at hatch.

Supposed to have a white cochin... Why no leg feathers at 5 weeks old? This is not exact chick, but looks almost identical to this picture. I have a white Sulton with leg feathers already..confused newbie..

Last edited:
If my feather legged breeds hatch out with twigs for feathers, that's what they're stuck with as they grow. My Silkies and Cochins hatch out with heavily feathered legs and most or all of the toes and they stay that way. If they don't have feathers now, they wont get them. If they've got one or two feathers here and there, that's what they'll end up with as adults.

The chick pictured a couple of posts above looks like my white Leghorn chicks. It'll never get feathered legs.

20180409_143652.jpg
I have 4 brahma chickens, roughly 4/5 weeks old, but only one has feathered legs and feet. Is this usual or was I sold the wrong breed?

Attachments

• 20180409_143652.jpg
    20180409_143652.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom