Leg/hip problem or something else. Please help me!

pitapinta79

Chirping
Feb 3, 2019
Asturias, Spain
Hello everyone. Let me introduce you to Jimena. She is a Castellana Negra (Spanish breed) and she is between 7 and 8 months old. He hasn't started laying eggs yet, although her sisters started at 5 months old. She is the last of the flock, and it has always been difficult for her to eat, except for her treatment (sunflower seeds, drive her crazy). The fact is that almost a month ago I realized that she was not able to turn her head to the left side to fix her feathers. She just turned her neck to the right, and instead of returning her neck to her normal position, she turned her entire body until she was straight again. The next day she leaned to the side (she has wry tail, not much), the left, and began to walk with her left leg somewhat further forward and crossed inward. I don't know if it's because of the same problem with the neck or that he suffered an accident. Also, she stopped eating. She tries, but it's as if she didn't have strength at the peak. So I have been feeding her for a month (she has gained weight, I think she was not well developed) with scrambled eggs, yogurt and organic food. I also give her a vitamin B and vitamin E complex with selenium, just in case it is a vitamin deficiency. The neck problem has improved a lot, it turns well, and even eats clovers on its own (but not the grain). Sometimes I take her down the road or to the meadow to walk to strengthen her legs. but there doesn't seem to be much improvement. I have felt her legs and hips and I don't notice any broken or dislocated bones. When she stands still you can see that her legs lose strength. By the way, she is with many new feathers. She is losing all her chick feathers and taking out the new ones as an adult (sometimes I think that is an important part of the problem, molting is always hard for them) So, what else I can do? What do you think it is? Any suggestions? I don´t think is Mareks. Please help us! Many Thanks!
Here I posted a video of her.

Is her leg band tight at her ankle?
If not I would guess from how she walks she may have a partial dislocation at the hip or a strained tendon.

I would put the hen in a pet carrier small enough to restrict her movement to one or two steps for a couple of days and see if rest makes an improvement.

Is her leg band tight at her ankle?
If not I would guess from how she walks she may have a partial dislocation at the hip or a strained tendon.

I would put the hen in a pet carrier small enough to restrict her movement to one or two steps for a couple of days and see if rest makes an improvement.
Thank you very much for your answer. The band is not tight at the ankle. Still I have decided to take it off. Thanks for the pet carrier advice. Today I tried to bandage her joints and it doesn't seem to help. What I have noticed is that one of its legs, the one wearing the band seems looser than the other, I can rotate it too easily. I think it's a hip problem then, but I don't know what to do if you have it dislocated. I can't find how to put it in its place.

Last edited:
The problem as I perceive it is not just with the leg. Her neck is affected and also her shoulder and wing on the left side. She is out of balance all over. This makes me suspect a spinal issue. Could she have gotten stepped on? Or injured herself getting off the roost? If a vet is a possibility, it would be nice if she could get a chiropractic adjustment. If not, perhaps a warm epsom salt bath followed by a neck to hip massage might loosen her up. She is very pretty, by the way. I hope you can help her!

Back
Top Bottom