Leg/hip problem with peachicks

Bird 1a.JPG Bird 1b.JPG
The pictures above are for the same bird (pied peachick). She is unwilling to put weight on the right let and holds it out. When I have her on her back, and line up both hips the right foot is angled out. It causes her pain when I have attempted to put the hips, hocks and lower legs in alignment with each other. Her leg issue came on rather suddenly and I can't pinpoint a situation that caused the injury.
Bird 2a.JPG Bird 2b.JPG
These two images are for my second peachick. He/she has had the turned out leg and hip for 4 weeks now. I have tried different methods for keeping the hips, hocks and lower legs lined up but with no positive results. He/she does not appear to be in pain and does use the right leg.

Is there some way that I can determine if it is a slipped tendon or something more serious. Any recommendations on correcting these leg issues?

Thank you for any advice you can give.

View attachment 2384613View attachment 2384614
The pictures above are for the same bird (pied peachick). She is unwilling to put weight on the right let and holds it out. When I have her on her back, and line up both hips the right foot is angled out. It causes her pain when I have attempted to put the hips, hocks and lower legs in alignment with each other. Her leg issue came on rather suddenly and I can't pinpoint a situation that caused the injury.
View attachment 2384616View attachment 2384617
These two images are for my second peachick. He/she has had the turned out leg and hip for 4 weeks now. I have tried different methods for keeping the hips, hocks and lower legs lined up but with no positive results. He/she does not appear to be in pain and does use the right leg.

Is there some way that I can determine if it is a slipped tendon or something more serious. Any recommendations on correcting these leg issues?

Thank you for any advice you can give.

Poor thing. I'll tag @casportpony , in case she didn't see your reply.

It does look like it might be a slipped tendon, or possibly a varus-valgus deformity, both being hard/impossible to treat at home, especially once they age, the bones become more set, harder to correct via an external coaptation device. There are surgeries that can be done for this, so if you have an avian vet nearby, it may be worth contacting them and ask.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/Veterinarians.cfm?CustID=27404759

Back
Top Bottom