Leg injuries!! Attack?? Please help

Lilalienangel

Songster
Aug 28, 2019
I have one banty hen who has a genetic deformity and walks like a duck. I intended to never breed her. Well I accidentally hatched one of her eggs. She had the same problem. However, I cast her up and she was walking alright. She is 7 weeks old now. Well today I am doing my dishes and I hear one of my birds crying. So I rush out and find my rooster attacking or possibly trying to mate her!!! I grabbed him and isolated him. (This is very odd behaviour. He it's usually non-aggressive. He is an Isbar and her father) Well now her legs seems really messed up. She is barely walking. One leg seems out of alignment . I also notice that her feet curl up as she puts them down making her fall. It is obvious she is in pain. She is missing feathers now near her eye and crest.. Can one put braces on a 7 week old pullet? If so would it actually help. In the included pictures the leg up front seems misaligned. The foot that is hard to see is the one on the proper position.. I have never been so angry at my roo before. Do I have to replace him?? This is the first issue he has ever had. I have no issues at all with any of my other pullets..
20200526_162437.jpg
20200526_162447.jpg

She sounds like she had a slipped tendon or leg bone deformity. Other chickens (especially a rooster) may sense that she has a problem and will try to hurt her. I would try to keep her with the others in a medium to large wire dog crate. Secure food and water to the sides. That way she will have some time to heal. Here is a good avian splinting manual:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

I have one banty hen who has a genetic deformity and walks like a duck. I intended to never breed her. Well I accidentally hatched one of her eggs. She had the same problem. However, I cast her up and she was walking alright. She is 7 weeks old now. Well today I am doing my dishes and I hear one of my birds crying. So I rush out and find my rooster attacking or possibly trying to mate her!!! I grabbed him and isolated him. (This is very odd behaviour. He it's usually non-aggressive. He is an Isbar and her father) Well now her legs seems really messed up. She is barely walking. One leg seems out of alignment . I also notice that her feet curl up as she puts them down making her fall. It is obvious she is in pain. She is missing feathers now near her eye and crest.. Can one put braces on a 7 week old pullet? If so would it actually help. In the included pictures the leg up front seems misaligned. The foot that is hard to see is the one on the proper position.. I have never been so angry at my roo before. Do I have to replace him?? This is the first issue he has ever had. I have no issues at all with any of my other pullets.. View attachment 2161459View attachment 2161468
I would try the brace. There is a good chance that she will recover. Chickens heal well most of the time

Bachs rescue remedy and homeopathic arnica pills, either solid or dissolved in liquid, help a lot. Rescue remedy for the shock and upsetness. Arnica for the pain, swelling, and physical healing.

Back
Top Bottom