leg injury/infection from rusty barbed wire

j and bs hens

Songster
9 Years
Feb 29, 2012
Vancouver Island
A couple days ago, our girls were free ranging and our brahama got stuck in our neighbours fence. I cleaned the wound and put her in iso.

This morning I took a look at it and her leg is turning green. There is no swelling at the site of the wound or on her leg. I'm not sure what to do, I've cleaned at the site, and tried to put some of the cleaning solution inside the leg. It won't go in, as there is no absessed pocket!

I have no idea how to fix this, and there are no vets in our area that treat chickens.

any imput would be greatly appreciated

IF you can find goldenseal tincture or powder, I would stick some on/in there & put it in the drinking water... along w/ echinacea. (I'm an herbalist so thats the only kind of advice I feel comfortable giving.)
Those two herbs together will kill infection, but something topically that I would use in conjunction is a plantain salve: I have heard of people curing gang green w/ plantain.
U probably have some growing near by & can make ur own salve or just chew some up & stick it in/on the wound.

Hey! I have the same thing on one of my chicks, but her leg won't move at all-- do you have any advice for this?

Back
Top Bottom