Leg issue/hen/ won't stand on it

Oh, I also checked her over for mites and lice and can't see anything. I don't know if the weight loss and leg issue are related or not?

I'm in a panic with the same issue... Won't stand on either leg but she's been having a hard time walking for about 2 months. She has good & bad days.... Today she can not stand at all. I'm at a loss....

I'm sorry. I hope your chicken gets better. Dixie is still laying around and barely eating. She will eat bread and grapes. I'm thinking there is something going on inside that we can't see and all we can do is hope for the best.
Thank you for your reply.

I really hope it's something else, but her symptoms sound like what my chicken did when I discovered Marek's . The wasted away, the feathers hide that. Some of them had paralysis and did the wing walking thing. One got over his paralysis, looked great, only to get paralysis about 2 weeks later.

I hope it's something else.

I feel for you. I have posted a similar post today about our hen:

"One of our hens started "limping" 2 days ago. She can only hobble on one leg. There are no signs of broken bones. Nothing seems swollen. She sits on the floor and has laid her eggs pretty much wherever she is. She just sits on the floor most of the time. But she eats and drinks fine. She is the lowest one in the pecking order, her eggs are the smallest and feel kind of "chalky" and are of lighter color. Is this a nutrition issue? We do feed the girls organic laying feed. But when we give them treats (lots of greens, fruits, veggies, scrambled egg) she usually is last to get anything. When all the hens get the good bugs, she is last to get any as well.
Did she just jump of the roost wrong and sprained something?

Should we separate her and put her in her own area for a while to heal? Feed extra nutritious treats?

We hate seeing her like this sad

Any help and pointers are much appreciated. We love our chickens they give us so much joy"

Not sure if your situation is similar. I will follow your notes , just because I am hooping it will shed light on my situation as well. If I find out info I will post it here.

Good luck with your hen sounds like your are doing what you can without knowing what the issue is. Sorry I am no help. Maybe a good if you have a good vet you could ask him/her?

I will go read it now. Dixie also laid a couple eggs like what you describe. "chalky".. hmmm she totally stopped laying though now and I don't know what the deal is... thanks for helping me!!!

Back
Top Bottom