Leg problem with pic..

Quote:
I was giving her Polyvisol for about a week, she would just drink it right from the dropper but no signs of improvements. i will put her back on it and see if we can get this figured out..

I have a chick with a leg problem, too. They are a month old, now...so I'm not sure about spraddle. We're brand new at this. How did you dose the vitamins?

For her it was easy because she would just drink it directly from the dropper. i had started her at 1 drop a day but have read she needs 3 drops a day. Plus 10 dropps in a quart of water. i have also read to give her Vitamin B. So I will stop at the store get some vitamin b plus start with 3 drops of polyvisol a day until I can see some improvements. crossing my fingers I hope we do..... I had a silkie with wry neck and I was giving him 3 dropps a day and today he is doing GREAT. I have also read to be patient because it does take about 3 days before the vitamins kick in and take affect.

Well after living for almost a month, this little chick finally lost her battle. I had a feeling she wouldn't make it, her leg just kept twisting up higher and higher. It was equal with her wing. I didn't have the courage to cull her but also was thinking perhaps it will improve with the vitamins and what not. Well it didn't and she died yesterday, as awful as this may sound, I'm kind of glad because I know she had to be hurting and struggling, she used her wings to get around... She could hardly walk, then having that one leg twist up into the air like that, she had to be in some sort of pain... Never had a chick who's leg twisted up to the wing before, at first i thought it was spaddle but now I believe it was just a defected chick.

I have a chick that is similar right now - it hatched that way and I thought it was spradle - but upon closer inspection, the joint is fused - it's leg is permanently bent. It can stand on it's one other leg and hop around pretty good though - and is apparently eating and drinking since it's still here and it's over a week old and not showing any signs of getting weaker. I tried to tape it, but that just made it more difficult for it to get around. So I took the bandaid off and it seems much better. I'll post a pic if I get a chance. The other chicks don't seem to give it much notice other than running it over now and then b/c it can't get out of the way fast enough sometimes. I just attribute it to a deformed leg and a handicapped chick. If it starts getting weak and not eating - then I'll have to put it down. but otherwise - I'll let it be.

Quote:
Mine would eat and drink just fine, I had to put his food and water in front of him/her but ate just fine. At first mine, had a little twist in the leg not to bad and it would bounce around using the wings to get around faster. But as it got older thats when it went down hill. Still ate and drank perfectly normal, but that leg just got worst and worst. It took a long time before it got to the point, where I said it ain't gonna get better. But I was wrong, my chick was much older then 1 month, it was more like 2 months, yeh it was about 2 months before that leg started to really twist up to the wing... It's a long, exhausting, and painful process...

Back
Top Bottom