leg problems - what to do?

jemmasgrandma

Songster
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Northern Indiana
First time for meaties ... I have 50, 2 week old cornish x in the brooder box, today when I went out to check them I had several with splayed legs
sad.png
I have taped 2 of them. My question is what to do if this doesn't work? Can I keep the seperate from the rest and just raise them like that? I don't know why this happened, they are on wood shavings, not slippery
idunno.gif
I'm scared to check them in the morning...

Do they have splayed legs or are just refusing to walk? I've had splayed legs in brand new birds, but not really with two week olds. I usually cull mine, but if you're willing to put in the time, isolate them and see what happens- they may get better. However, a bird that's just laying around refusing to walk may be sick as well- it's sometimes hard to tell the difference. But either way, isolation would be appropriate if you want to try to save the bird.

I don't know why several would go down at the same time , and agree with others that splayed legs are unlikely . The 2 birds that went down on their legs for me had fluid in their body cavity ; I'm guessing a heart or circulatory problem on my two . Why several of yours went down overnight is a bit baffling . Anything unusual happen , like running out of water ?

No, their wings are fine, they're holding their heads just right...I change/clean their water at least 3 times a day. I'm thinking of just keeping them seperate and just see how they do. They seem to be eating & drinking just fine, but just scoot around, and when they are just sitting their toes are curled back. we'll see

you know, I would try a heavy dose of PoliViSol (baby vitamins) in the water, or actually I would even give each of them about half a dropper full in the mouth then treat the water as well.

Moved them to the big coop...they seem to be coming out if it. I only have one that has a little trouble hopefully he'll snap out of it too. I didn't give them vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom