Leg problems

My flock 8

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2020
I have my big black hen when she walks her legs looks like they are popping outward. She does not seem to be in any lain. Runs around great. Nothing on the bottom of her feet.

Aww, cute. She will be alright. I had a hen named Footsy that had half of a foot, it was like that when I got her, and she was the BEST hen I've ever had. I've had a lot of hens.

That hen, if she does end up having more trouble, will probably be like a true pet.

Doesn't look like a true splayed leg but could be a slight version.

In the video, there looks to be some movement of the hock joint in the right leg, and that could be something called varus deformity, a leg bone deformity which can affect one leg or both. Varus causes the leg to bow outward, while valgus deformity has a knock kneed appearance. It might be that she has it in both legs, but the right leg looks more so. Scroll down to pictures in this link for info:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens

Aww, cute. She will be alright. I had a hen named Footsy that had half of a foot, it was like that when I got her, and she was the BEST hen I've ever had. I've had a lot of hens.

That hen, if she does end up having more trouble, will probably be like a true pet.

Doesn't look like a true splayed leg but could be a slight version.
Thank you so much. She is always the first one that comes running to me.

I would continue to observe her walking. If the tendons seem loose, a support or small splint might help, kind of like you would wear on a knee that is unstable. Vet wrap strips or tape might be helpful, but do not get anything too tight. Vet wrap can move and cut off circulation.

Back
Top Bottom