Leg problems?

JLeigh

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
North Georgia
First, my keet hatched last night in the early evening. I removed the red plug from the incubator (directions say to do that to help drying) and this morning the keet still doesn't seem dry.

Also, it isn't "up" on its legs. It's moving around the incubator, chirping and pooping, but it doesn't seem to be able to stand up completely. Is this normal?

It's instinctual (and normal) for keets to start pecking at things in the incubator... it's probably more bored than anything, it just absorbed enough residual yolk to last 36 hrs w/o food and water. So no worries there.

Since it's not on it's feet, I'd leave it in the 'bator at least until it's up running around. The humidity is good for it's bones/joints after hatching, but when they are fluffed and up running around is when I move my keets.

The peeping is normal too, it stimulates the other eggs to get in gear and join the party. I know it seems sad and mean to leave it in there alone, but it really is the best place for it until it's legs are good and strong, and feet toes all straight and working well.

Post a pic of the keet!

Back
Top Bottom