leg tags?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hawcer, Aug 26, 2011.

1. hawcer

hawcer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    Where or how can I get leg tags/bands?

Vet,4H....other source? I'm clueless...

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Great question, every place I've seen them for sale you have to buy several thousand and they're not cheap. I just need like a 100pk.

3. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a dumb question.... what are they for??? Do they identify each bird like ear tags for cows? I know for cow tags we use them to identify cycles, fertility methods, breeding and vaccinations. What are bird bands used for??

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Try Randall Burkey, they sell boxes of 25. These are the plastic springy ones, they sell by size, you have to research it out.

5. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I have seen them at the feed store packaged in 25 counts for less than a dollar.

there are numerous places online to get them if you can't find them in your feed store/ farm and home store. There are so many different kind of bands you need to decide which kind you want and then look for those. It depends if you want a number system/color system/letters etc.

This one explains sizes and comes in all colors
    http://www.qcsupply.com/farm-livest...on-bands/420100-plastic-spiral-leg-bands.html

here's one place
    http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=17535

and another
    this one comes in quantities of 100 (minimum)

http://www.ketchummfg.com/Adjustable-Seal-Leg-Bands-Plain-Aluminum-Numbered-p89.html

6. allidew2

allidew2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Upstate South Carolina
    Also, you might want to look on Ebay. I got a bag of 100 mixed sizes, some tiny ones for the day olds when I get them and some for later when we start to train them to come in at night..... marking is mostly for my own info, just so I can tell 'who is who', who's been picked up and loved on, who's not come into the coop yet, etc. [​IMG]

7. hawcer

Aug 24, 2011
    Excellent...thanks for the fast help! [​IMG]

8. allidew2

allidew2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Upstate South Carolina
    BTW.... the ones I got on Ebay were more like little rubber bands, which I think will be gentler on those little baby legs than the plastic thingys. I was a little worried about that, so I went with the softer ones.

9. hawcer

Aug 24, 2011
    Quote:So, being like rubber bands, do you have to stretch them over the feet to get them on the leg?

10. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Are you wanting to put them on babies, or grown ups? And what's the reason?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by