Legal Elimination of Hawks and Owls

Summary:
Oklahoma law prohibits the knowing and willful killing or molestation of hawks, falcons, owls, or eagles, or their nests, eggs, or young. The only exceptions to this prohibition are the taking of a hawk or owl in the act of destroying domestic birds or fowl, or the use of hawks, owls, falcons, or eagles by licensed falconers.

A. Except as otherwise provided, no person may knowingly and willfully, by means of any device, molest, injure or kill any species of hawk, falcon, owl or eagle, their nests, eggs or young.

B. Birds exempt from this provision are:

1. Any species of hawk or owl in the act of destroying domestic birds or fowl;

2. Any species of hawk, falcon, owl or eagle, except those species prohibited by federal law, when taken by a licensed falconer for use in the practice of falconry, as provided in Section 29-5-206[29-5-206] of this Code.

CREDIT(S)

The Constitution of the United States of America plainly states that all foreign treaties that are agreed to by the State Department and is ratified by 2/3 of the US Senate is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND. Perhaps you should read the Migratory Bird Treaty between Canada, Great Britain, Mexico, and the USA. But if it took 10 plus years to tract down bin Laden then how hard will Uncle Sam look for a person who molests hawks? The catching always comes before the hanging.

I will kill any predator of any kind that tries to kill and eat my chickens. It cost me too much money to feed them even though I let them free range some. There is too much other food out there (squirrels, rabbits, coons, chipmunks, birds rats, etc) that they can eat and leave my chickens alone.
Gonna cost a heck of a lot more if the state or feds catch you killing birds of prey. True there is plenty of natural prey out there but your chickens are a whole lot easier to catch.

Some states allow the killing of some hawks IF killed while they are attacking domestic fowl or animals. Many a game chicken farmer lost a fortune by sitting traps on tall poles thinking that qualified. Nope, in the act, depending on species, and even then you will likely run afoul (pardon the pun) federal law or international migratory bird law.

Gonna cost a heck of a lot more if the state or feds catch you killing birds of prey. True there is plenty of natural prey out there but your chickens are a whole lot easier to catch.

Some states allow the killing of some hawks IF killed while they are attacking domestic fowl or animals. Many a game chicken farmer lost a fortune by sitting traps on tall poles thinking that qualified. Nope, in the act, depending on species, and even then you will likely run afoul (pardon the pun) federal law or international migratory bird law.
Federal and state laws clash over predation and killing raptors that are killing livestock.
I had a hawk circling yesterday. He didn’t like my music choices

Federal and state laws clash over predation and killing raptors that are killing livestock.
I had a hawk circling yesterday. He didn’t like my music choices
Actually they don't clash at all; federal law supersedes state law. Those state laws are usually quite ancient, state statutes are usually packed with antiquated laws long since overridden by newer laws or superseded by federal laws.

Whether this is Constitutional or a good idea is another matter.

Actually they don't clash at all; federal law supersedes state law. Those state laws are usually quite ancient, state statutes are usually packed with antiquated laws long since overridden by newer laws or superseded by federal laws.

Whether this is Constitutional or a good idea is another matter.
I won’t start a constitutional debate or discussion but many federal laws are completely unenforceable. Perfect example is blowing up a mailbox is a federal charge but they can’t enforce it so local law catches it under a vandalism charge.
Usually a few shotgun blasts into my trees keeps the hawks and falcons at bay for a few days.

Here we have a good roofed run and coop, so when a hawk visits, the flock is locked in until that hawk leaves. Free ranging is fine, until it's not, and having safe housing for your flock is the most important thing, and should be your first priority.
There's no need to break the law when you are prepared for raptor visitations!
Over decades here, losses to raptors have occurred, but are very few compared to the infrequent but horrible losses to ground predators (fox and dog) during the day.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom