Legalities

theguy67

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 23, 2010
I would like to produce eggs and chicks small scale to sell locally and to other states. Where do I need to look for the laws on this and see which permits are required? I have heard of fines for certian things that I was never aware of.
I am in Texas btw

I would call your state's animal health department. Ours here oversees not only the health of the animal, but their distribution in commerce alive/dead and any of the products they produce-eggs, honey, etc. along with importing/exporting. If they can't help you, they should know who can.

Well everything is all jumbled right now as far as my chickens. The idea of selling eggs and chicks may just be wishful thinking since I am almost burned out on chicken issues. If there is to many hoops I need to jump through as far as getting proper paperwork, permits, certificates of health ect. I dont see the point of pursureing this especially if it is al small scale operation ( and I mean SMALL, 20 birds at most)

A lot of places require you to be NPIP for selling chicks publicly. If I remember correctly as I know I've talked about Texas with someone before, your state sends out a state tester and certifies your flock once a year. Don't remember whether or not it cost anything and some places, it's free. NPIP testing in general though is not a big deal or even much of an inconvenience short of being home for an hour or two.

Most of what I see are fairly nonexistent for personal transactions, especially a flock of your size and only have regs kicking in for public sales. Like I can put an ad on CL and sell chicks to anybody, but if I want to sell them to the feedstore for them to resell to the general public, I've got to be NPIP or at least have paperwork to show the breeding stock is PT free. I can sell all the eggs I want in any manner I want from my front porch provided I have less than 40 hens and don't grade them. As soon as I want to go sell them publicly at the Farmers Market or to the local grocery store, I have to start washing, grading, refrigerating, using specifically labeled containers and get an egg selling license from the state. I can also raise, process and sell up to 1000 birds from my front porch, but again different things kick in as soon as I want to set foot off my property.

Honestly, I do understand the extra rules, regs and licensing when you're talking about selling to a reseller. I don't get the extras though in the case of say Farmers Markets or selling somewhere not on my property. I personally think as long as the buyer is dealing directly with the producer, even if it's a couple of blocks from the producers property, the same rules should apply with maybe an origination label. Course I'm paranoid about strangers showing up whenever at my house, but I also watch too many crime shows.
hide.gif

Your state may be stricter or more lenient. If you don't want to call, try checking their website first. May have everything you need or at least enough to know whether or not you want to proceed further.

thanks for the help. First is first, i need to rebuild be flock since im down to 1 hen. Once i get around 6 more hens we shall see.

Back
Top Bottom