Legalizing backyard chickens in Plano, Tx.

COLORADO

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
poetry, tx
We have a small but growing group of Plano, Tx. henkeepers, or those who want to legally be henkeepers. We need more Plano residents to stand up for backyard poultry before we can approach city hall. If you live in Plano, or know of anyone there that will support this effort, PLEASE contact me. [email protected]

Strictest discretion will apply if you already have chickens, I won't let the chicken police get you!

I have family there that's pretty upset about the poultry keeping regulations. They live on 2 acres, next to a farm of 100acres and still aren't allowed! I'll give 'em your info!

I'm in Anna, but my girls are totally illegal! Wishing that I could have a rooster, but if we could legally keep chickens, that'd be awesome!

I have started a Facebook group for Legalizing backyard chickens in Plano. The address is

https://www.facebook.com/groups/389280547785564/

Or just search "Legalize Backyard Chickens in Plano, Texas. It has a small membership but there is strength in numbers no matter how small.

I recently submitted the idea of changing the laws in Plano to allow chickens on www.engageplano.com and was met with a resounding NO but we have to keep trying. We can't take NO for an answer.

Jay in Plano

Hey all, I'm new here! And yes, I unfortunately live in non-chicken friendly Plano.

My husband and I are dying to have some chickies in our backyard for eggs! One of the main reasons is because if we control what our chickens eat, then we can avoid the GMO grains fed to commercial chickens (and yes even in some "organic" poultry) in our chicken's feed, and thus have healthier eggs. I have Lyme disease and when I eat foods that are striclty stated and regulated Non-GMO, I get better. When I eat foods that have them (like any corn products, cooking oils at restaurants, soybeans, and god only knows how many other items the public doesn't know about) I get much, much worse. My doc says he sees the same thing in other patients he has with diseases that suppress the immune system.....the GMO "Franken-foods" stress the immune system badly as our bodies try to process them as foreign objects-which is what they are. When his patients eat as many Non-GMO foods, they get better....

So for me backyard chickens are a matter of health, especially now that even Monsanto's GMO Alfalfa has been approved for mass use by our "wonderful" government-goodbye most organic beef, chicken, pork, and milk...as bees that pollinate GMO Alfalfa will contamintat the Non-GMO crops as well. I have a strict organic Non-GMO vegetable garden, and something as simple as chickens along with it, could be a HUGE health benefit! (Not to mention; it would also be great to have the pets and fun that comes along with them as my husband and I are big animal lovers) :)

I recently joined Jay's Plano Chicken Facebook group, and now I'm in the process of a letter campaign to city officials. Does anyone know who the best people to send these letters to is, or should I just send them to everyone; ie, the mayor, city manager, and all the district council members?

For any of you in Plano, please, please join the FB group and lets REALLY start pushing the issue and bombarding the city officials with letters, etc!! :) Have family and friends in Plano that may not want chickens for themselves? See if like a few of my friends have agreed, if they will write a short letter in favor of allowing backyard chickens in Plano. Sadly, this city used to be so friendly with a feel of a smaller town, and now that it's soooooo overcrowded, it has become a rude, cold, concrete jungle...Perhaps chickens could do a lot for people living here to get back to the "older" style Plano we used to love, and could even be a great stress release for many people here. It's to the point we're ready to move to another city if Plano keeps saying no, (I don't want my tax dollars going to them, if I can't even keep "food" at my own house) but I plan on going down fighting first! ;)
Cheers!
Cyn
PS-Been lurking at BYC for a while now, and absolutely love all of the wonderful, helpful info!!

The legalized liquor folks tackled this head on with petitions at public and high foot traffic areas and got their law changed. I believe this is easily possible with a group of volunteers. I agree backyard chickens should be legal in Plano.

Vblakley

I am about to move to Plano and was really excited until I heard I could not keep any chooks in my yard at all!
Please let me know if I can support this change in any way! Have signed online petitions and joined the FB Group
Thanks and here's hoping!
Cheers
Rach

Back
Top Bottom