Legalizing Chickens in Surrey BC

Tomloveschickens

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
Well, I have been challenging the backyard chicken by law in Surrey since 2008. This year I submitted an interesting report to city counsel to remind them of the benefits of the sustainable life style. In fact we were photographed and our story will be published in the Surrey Now Newspaper sometimes this week; However, just received a letter from the mayor office stating that the bay law will stand as it is.
Although this a temporary set back but I am going to continue to get the city revise its current by law. Any support will be appreciated.

I admire the fact that you keep fighting. I live on a few rural acres in Ontario zoned for farming so I don't have your issues. But I have a lot of friends in urban areas that would love to keep a few hens. I've NEVER understood how hens -or, for that matter, roosters - are all that different than dogs. Poop and noise. Both species generate both. So why are chickens such a problem? I'm also not buying the rat/racoon/skunk attraction argument. FAR more of those critters attracted by city garbage than my chickens EVER attracted.

Keep fighting! Folks need educating.

Interesting.. I've had the same conversations with council, and in fact with Diane Watts her self.. she promises to "take the issue up" but has never actually done anything about it. I've even offered to make presentations to council, and offer alternatives to an across the board relaxation of the laws - licensing, exemptions/exceptions process, etc. it falls on deaf ears.

Has anyone started a petition regarding this? Some friends and I are interested in raising chickens eventually and have been wondering what we could do to help get this issue moved along.

I tried searching for Surrey Backyard Chickens on facebook and was not able to find the page. Is it up yet, or still pending approval? Are you able to add me to the group if I give you my name?

I will join and try to help your cause. I have an old friend from Surrey, I'd love to help te residents there out.

Back
Top Bottom