Leghorn and Sexlink not laying at 23 weeks?

Lootgoot

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2020
Hi everyone. I bought 4 pullets Memorial Day weekend - two White Leghorns and two Golden Sexlinks. They just turned 23 weeks this past weekend. Of the 4, 1 White Leghorn started laying 3 weeks ago at 20 weeks. We had an extremely hot and humid summer and my older hens stopped laying for a while. Once they started back up, the one Leghorn began laying a few days later and I thought surely the other girls would be right behind her but still nothing. Should I be worried or just let them be? They are all on grower feed, but have a very large area to free range in during the day.

They should be on layer feed and have supplemental free choice oyster shell on the side. Right now their bodies need extra calcium for egg making, not extra protein for growing. They should have been switched to the layer feed around 18 weeks.

Leghorns I have found lay earlier than any others I got along with them.

I wouldn't worry but yes, they should be on layers feed.
This should speed it up, but it is different for every hen. They will lay in time. Calcium is a good idea, you don't want their first egg to be shell-less.

Well, hmm. They’re still on the grower feed because I have a mixed flock and have pullets even younger than they are - currently 15 weeks. The bag of grower is almost empty and we do have a whole bag of layer here, so I guess I could start mixing it all up?

Hi everyone. I bought 4 pullets Memorial Day weekend - two White Leghorns and two Golden Sexlinks. They just turned 23 weeks this past weekend. Of the 4, 1 White Leghorn started laying 3 weeks ago at 20 weeks. We had an extremely hot and humid summer and my older hens stopped laying for a while. Once they started back up, the one Leghorn began laying a few days later and I thought surely the other girls would be right behind her but still nothing. Should I be worried or just let them be? They are all on grower feed, but have a very large area to free range in during the day.
Leghorns I have found lay earlier than any others I got along with them.

I wouldn't worry but yes, they should be on layers feed.
This should speed it up, but it is different for every hen. They will lay in time. Calcium is a good idea, you don't want their first egg to be shell-less.
Grower feed should be fine as long as it's at least 16% protein. Personally I prefer to feed an all flock/flock raiser feed (18-20% protein) to all my birds since I have different ages, sexes, etc.
Provide oyster shell free choice, they will pick up extra calcium (if it's needed) that way.

Feeding layer feed will not speed up the process of laying. Each pullet is an individual. When her body is mature enough to start laying eggs, she will.
23 weeks is still young.

Fresh food, fresh water and be patient.

Free ranging? Look for hidden nests.
.....or......
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom