Leghorn chicks - Is this normal?

Those are definitely not leghorns.

They will die quite young, too, because they grow so fast and put on bulk so fast... But you can give them a much better quality of life (than they would have otherwise gotten being raised for meat) for as long as you have them.

You might want to read the meat bird section...it's not good for their health to live long term, they just keep growing. You can enjoy homegrown chicken, or maybe look for someone to buy them..but they will be buying them for food.

I bought 2 that I was also told were Leghorns and they turned out to be meat birds. One was killed by the others and Big Momma lived about 3 times as long as she should have then keeled over from a heart attack in the garden one day! Watch their food intake as they will get big and fat FAST! These chickens are bred to be butchered at a very early age. They make great pets, though the life expectancy is so short. Big Momma was the sweetest, fattest girl and I still miss her, but I know we gave her the happiest life she could have had and she didn't end up in someone's fryer!

Here is a 4-5 week old leghorn pullet. See the difference? Scrawny.
sad.png
As you can tell, meat birds look a whole lot different..
sad.png

CIMG0736.jpg

Hi, I noticed that two of your chicks look alot like one that i was told was a BO, but now I know that's not true. The ones that have some brown on their wings. Does anyone know what they are? I can't find anyone that can identify her. Thanks, Sharon

Back
Top Bottom