Leghorn chicks - Is this normal?

Minniechickmama

Senora Pollo Loco
10 Years
Sep 4, 2009
Minnesota
1320 -
There is an old saying, "If it looks like a CRX, eats like a CRX, waddles like a CRX, stinks like a CRX, poops and is disinterested in moving out of said poop like a CRX, grows like mad like a CRX, It is probably a CRX"
Oh, wait, that isn't an old one, but you get my drift, right?
From all the stories I hear about TSC, I can't believe people still buy chicks from them. It seems to me they have no clue about what they are doing with chickens.

SouthernLady

Songster
11 Years
Sep 7, 2008
Mississippi
Quote:Well hubby is the one with no clue. He just decided on his own that our daughter needed some for Easter. It didn't matter that we had a banty hen sitting on eggs that were due to hatch less than a week after Easter. (All 7 hatched and we have 7 of the cutest, tiniest little banty chicks you're ever seen.) My daughter came home with a chick from school 3 years ago, and you can guess who had to take care of it. And then we got another because it was lonely. Then the dogs got those two since hubby left them in a box where the dogs could get to them while he was mowing. (Bad hubby!) Then of course those two had to be replaced. Then father in law decided our daughter needed more........etc., etc., Don't get me wrong. I adore them and love having them. But it was never my choice and it certainly wouldn't be my choice to have more than we hatched at this time.

Minniechickmama

Senora Pollo Loco
10 Years
Sep 4, 2009
Minnesota
Quote:Well hubby is the one with no clue. He just decided on his own that our daughter needed some for Easter. It didn't matter that we had a banty hen sitting on eggs that were due to hatch less than a week after Easter. (All 7 hatched and we have 7 of the cutest, tiniest little banty chicks you're ever seen.) My daughter came home with a chick from school 3 years ago, and you can guess who had to take care of it. And then we got another because it was lonely. Then the dogs got those two since hubby left them in a box where the dogs could get to them while he was mowing. (Bad hubby!) Then of course those two had to be replaced. Then father in law decided our daughter needed more........etc., etc., Don't get me wrong. I adore them and love having them. But it was never my choice and it certainly wouldn't be my choice to have more than we hatched at this time.

so, get on the ball, the rest of your family has this chicken math down to a tee!

SouthernLady

Songster
11 Years
Sep 7, 2008
Mississippi
Here's an update on the little meaties. I've limited their feed intake and their growth seems to have slowed a bit. They're still much bigger than the other chicks their age, but they're not so big that they can't support their own weight. And for whoever told me to either harvest them, or trade them out because they don't make good pets..........WRONG! They are adorable and run (or I guess I should say wobble) to me every time they see me. I know they won't have a long life, but I intend to give them the best life they can possibly have in their short time with us.

Anianna

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
N/E of Richmond, VA
Quote:The reason they don't generally make good pets is because of their very short intended lifespan and typically poor quality of life beyond that life span if they do live much longer (because their bodies are not supposed to support that weight ratio for long). That still stands whether your sweeties wobble to you or not. I'm glad you can enjoy them in the meantime, though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom