Leghorn chicks - Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SouthernLady, May 5, 2011.

1. SouthernLady

SouthernLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Mississippi
    My husband came home with a half dozen baby chicks from the feed store a couple of weeks ago. We've had chickens for several years but not familiar with leghorns (which 3 of the chicks are). They've grown extremely fast in the past couple of weeks and have huge feet and legs. One of them more so than the others. Is this normal? Hubby thinks something is wrong with them. I think they are just fast growers. I've googled the breed and can't really find any information as to common characteristics of the chicks. Thanks so much!

2. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    I'd double check to make sure they are Leghorns. My neighbor has them and I'd never consider them large at any stage. although rapid growth is not unusual. Considering you got them from a feed store I would not be surprised if there was a mix up and you got meat birds. Hope it all works out.

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Yah my leghorns all stayed scrawny.. it's a year later, still scrawny. I am thinking you may have gotten cornish X (meat birds).

4. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah you may have gotten cornish X. I know at like a week you could tell the size difference in ours.

5. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I agree with everyone else... can you post pics?

6. SouthernLady

Sep 7, 2008
    Mississippi
    [​IMG] Here's a pic of the babies. The two larger ones in the foreground are supposed to be leghorns.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  7. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Uh.. yeah. You got cornishx.. meat birds. I don't know when, but you can't feed them at night or they will get too big.

8. gocrow77

gocrow77 Crow's Nest

May 13, 2009
    Central MO
    sound like meaties to me too.

9. SouthernLady

Sep 7, 2008
    Mississippi
    Aw, man! Well we don't eat our chickens. Guess they'll just be pets.

10. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Meat birds are just that, meat birds. They don't usually make great pets either, they can get too heavy and can't support their own weight, leading to death.

Last edited: May 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by