leghorn combs: when do they flop over?

Amastacia

Songster
6 Years
May 9, 2013
SW Michigan
i have 5 leghorn hens, 3 white and 2 brown, that are all about a year and a half. none of their combs are flopping over like they are supposed to. shouldn't they by this age? they've been laying for over a year now. or is it more likely that they just won't, probably do to being hatchery birds of low quality breeding?

thanks.

Wyandottes7

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Not all Leghorn combs will flop over. Some combs never get large enough to flop over. A show-quality bird should have a lopped comb, but since your birds are from a hatchery, they aren't specifically bred for it.

Amastacia

Songster
6 Years
May 9, 2013
SW Michigan
Not all Leghorn combs will flop over. Some combs never get large enough to flop over. A show-quality bird should have a lopped comb, but since your birds are from a hatchery, they aren't specifically bred for it.
that is what i suspected. too bad, i think leghorns are cute with the floppy combs.

Manningjw

Songster
8 Years
Oct 5, 2011
Shoreline, Washington
that is what i suspected. too bad, i think leghorns are cute with the floppy combs.
I am not a big fan of the flopped over comb myself - my white leghorn has it, but the other 3 I left with my parents in their coop do not. The only difference I can come up with is mine ate a bit higher protein feed - they mix in cracked corn and other treats more than I do.

Top Bottom