leghorn combs: when do they flop over?

Amastacia

Songster
6 Years
May 9, 2013
SW Michigan
i have 5 leghorn hens, 3 white and 2 brown, that are all about a year and a half. none of their combs are flopping over like they are supposed to. shouldn't they by this age? they've been laying for over a year now. or is it more likely that they just won't, probably do to being hatchery birds of low quality breeding?

thanks.

Not all Leghorn combs will flop over. Some combs never get large enough to flop over. A show-quality bird should have a lopped comb, but since your birds are from a hatchery, they aren't specifically bred for it.

Not all Leghorn combs will flop over. Some combs never get large enough to flop over. A show-quality bird should have a lopped comb, but since your birds are from a hatchery, they aren't specifically bred for it.
that is what i suspected. too bad, i think leghorns are cute with the floppy combs.

that is what i suspected. too bad, i think leghorns are cute with the floppy combs.
I am not a big fan of the flopped over comb myself - my white leghorn has it, but the other 3 I left with my parents in their coop do not. The only difference I can come up with is mine ate a bit higher protein feed - they mix in cracked corn and other treats more than I do.

Back
Top Bottom