1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

leghorn combs: when do they flop over?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Amastacia, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Amastacia

Amastacia Chirping

May 9, 2013
    SW Michigan
    i have 5 leghorn hens, 3 white and 2 brown, that are all about a year and a half. none of their combs are flopping over like they are supposed to. shouldn't they by this age? they've been laying for over a year now. or is it more likely that they just won't, probably do to being hatchery birds of low quality breeding?

thanks.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    Not all Leghorn combs will flop over. Some combs never get large enough to flop over. A show-quality bird should have a lopped comb, but since your birds are from a hatchery, they aren't specifically bred for it.

3. Amastacia

Amastacia Chirping

May 9, 2013
    SW Michigan
    that is what i suspected. too bad, i think leghorns are cute with the floppy combs.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on Wyandottes7 comments.

5. Manningjw

Manningjw Songster

I am not a big fan of the flopped over comb myself - my white leghorn has it, but the other 3 I left with my parents in their coop do not. The only difference I can come up with is mine ate a bit higher protein feed - they mix in cracked corn and other treats more than I do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: