EasterChickens

Songster
Feb 20, 2021
Hello everyone, my 2nd leghorn (Shyshe) acts kind of broody for the past 3 days or so. So this is how it works everyday at around 12pm she lays her egg and then she gets out of her nest box and starts eating, playing around with her other chicken friends but then at around 4-5pm she goes back into the nest box and stays there for 2-3 hours and gets out to go to sleep. She also bites at my fingers when I touch her, she also puff her feathers a little.

In this video you can see her bite a bird feather I used to touch her while she is in her nest box
LINK:https://scontent-sjc3-1.cdninstagra...41ad12c160f0387d38b4697f816d62&_nc_sid=fa978c @rosemarythyme @HappyClucker7 @cherrynberry @Auntiejessi3 @DobieLover

Although may be planning something 🤣

Are you sure she lays her egg at 12pm? I had a hen go into the nesting box for a few minutes and then come out. Then she would go in a few hours later and then lay her egg.

Edit: I had a hen bite even when not broody. Chickens dont like to be bothered when laying an egg (which IS reasonable). She did actually go broody many months later though.

It doesn't look like she is actually broody, although she might be kind of on the verge of going broody. Next time, take her out of the nest and see how she reacts. Does she shriek at you when you go near her? Does she puff up her feathers and make a low, "tuk tuk tuk" noise? Does she pancake on the ground?

Although may be planning something 🤣

Are you sure she lays her egg at 12pm? I had a hen go into the nesting box for a few minutes and then come out. Then she would go in a few hours later and then lay her egg.

Edit: I had a hen bite even when not broody. Chickens dont like to be bothered when laying an egg (which IS reasonable). She did actually go broody many months later though.
Hello cherrynberry, yes around 10am-12pm (its in the morning not the night if you thought 12pm was night) I have been watching her since then and she is just laying in the box for an hour or two and then coming out to take a break for like 15-20 minutes and repeats the same cycle afterwards. She is not laying an egg though she only lay an egg at 10am-12pm (midday) then she starts sitting on them.

Hello cherrynberry, yes around 10am-12pm (its in the morning not the night if you thought 12pm was night) I have been watching her since then and she is just laying in the box for an hour or two and then coming out to take a break for like 15-20 minutes and repeats the same cycle afterwards. She is not laying an egg though she only lay an egg at 10am-12pm (midday) then she starts sitting on them.
Does she go in to sit on eggs? Or does she sit on nothing?

I don’t see her puffing up or growling at you. My leghorn didn’t that fit a few weeks. But whenever I would take all the eggs she’d snap out of it. I wouldn’t consider mine to have gone full broody. Keep and eye but I think she’s just being a chicken

It doesn't look like she is actually broody, although she might be kind of on the verge of going broody. Next time, take her out of the nest and see how she reacts. Does she shriek at you when you go near her? Does she puff up her feathers and make a low, "tuk tuk tuk" noise? Does she pancake on the ground?
Hello HappyClucker7, thanks for your reply! she does shriek at me when I come close to her, she does puff up her feathers a little, but she does not make a "tuk" noise. She also bites my finger like 10 times when i try to touch/come close to her. What do you mean by does she "pancake" on the ground?

Back
Top Bottom