Leghorn laid first egg 2 weeks ago - nothing at all since?

sdh27

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 6, 2014
I have a white leghorn (egg laying hybrid breed I'm guessing - not to chicken-breed savvy yet sorry), I bought her as a POL and she already had a big red comb etc.

She laid her first egg about 3 days after bringing her home, but it has now been over two weeks and she hasn't laid a single egg since then? Is this normal??

She does the 'squat' when I put my hand over her (which they do for the roosters right?) and I am sure that the first egg was hers.

Any suggestions? Or anything I can do to help her along?

may just not be quite into the swing of things yet......I dont know a whole lot about the breed so im not sure how good of an egg layer they are but may just take her a bit to get into a routine. How much daylight are you getting right now?

They are meant to be very, very good layers. They are the ones America uses for their battery hens I believe.

We are in summer and getting about 14 hours of light per day, I'm guessing

Ok well that should be enough light......what kind of food are they getting.......could she be laying somewhere else when she free ranging?

No, they don't free range and only have a couple of spots to lay and I check them all daily. They get an organic meat and soy free layer mash (still has same protein content etc of the ones with meat or fish meal), scraps and as much grass as they want (I planted grass in a garden bed in the run with chicken wire over it so they can't scratch it up but just eat it as it grows).

Not sure what else I can do, it seems quite odd to me and I hope nothing is wrong with her

Right does sound a little wierd do you have other hens that are laying......and are they just not able to free range at all? You may also try giving them a little caffiene or ceyenne pepper i've heard this helps with egg production.

Yes we don't have the space for them to free range - we live in the city and most of our outside area is all paved but we had an area of dirt so we kept that for the chooks. They seem pretty happy and do have more than the recommended space, still.

All other hens are laying except for one young pullet who is younger than the rest so not expected of her yet.

That sounds interesting! I would have thought caffeine would be bad for them

yea im sure in excess it would be I have never used it and have never worried alot about them slowing down a little. I just make sure they have fresh water and food at all times and that seems good enough for me. She isn't acting funny in any way is she?

Back
Top Bottom