leghorn rooster

OP, it’s not typical for a hen to be broody for 3-4 months. I would suggest that you watch them very closely when you put the chicks in with the hen. A hen that is not broody won’t take care of babies. It’s likely that she will either ignore them or attack them. Are you able to have a brooder set up so you can raise them if this happens?
yes. i have a brooder i got the days wrong two of the girls have been broody for about a month

i ordered baby leghorn chicks online 5 girls and one boy im scared the rooster is going to be aggressive to my mom and me if it does it will end up in a good dinner but what was your guys experience with leghorn white roosters?
I've had chickens almost my entire life and the only breed we have ever had (back when I was a child) where the roosters were 100% aggressive were white leghorns, so much so that my mother gave up on the breed and I refuse to have any kind of leghorn today. (And California greys lay large wonderful white eggs).
That said, I have and have had many wonderful roosters
If you're hoping for a nice guy, some tips I've found: Don't make a pet of him. Be friendly and good to him but no constant picking up and playing with him. You don't want him seeing you as an equal or part of the flock that must be challenged.
If possible, if you have other older chickens, put him in with them as soon as you can, perhaps eight weeks or so. You don't want a boy who has always been at the top of the pecking order which he will be if he is raised with pullets his own age. The boys seem to be much better tempered when they have to come up through the ranks so to speak.
And there are tons of nice protective but not human aggressive roosters out there as I have had many. Just none of the leghorns made the cut.
Good luck

i ordered baby leghorn chicks online 5 girls and one boy im scared the rooster is going to be aggressive to my mom and me if it does it will end up in a good dinner but what was your guys experience with leghorn white roosters?
Very helpful video on aggressive Roosters!
This method Works! Forget the dinner plate, your girls need a Rooster.

I have a 4 week old flock of leghorns. The roo acts like a pullet. They are so kind and calm.

I have been around mean LH roo and they are mean, but idk how he was raised. His spurs were like 1 1/2" long, I believe is how you raise him. If raise him like a chicken you should be fine, if raise like a human he will lose all fear of humans and then it's on. They are a flighty and skittish breed and you can use that to your advantage.

Back
Top Bottom