leghorn rooster

I love roosters and I've had a lot of different breeds of them. I've found that Leghorns do have a tendency to be more aggressive than other breeds but every rooster is different. I've have a couple of Leghorn roosters that were wonderful and easy keepers. But I've had a few that became supper. You just don't know about them until they mature. Give them a while to get used to their male hormones when they start to develop at around 4 months. If they show a lot of aggressive behavior at 6 months then they should be taken out of the flock. Just be prepared for whatever happens and don't make a pet of him. :old

I love roosters and I've had a lot of different breeds of them. I've found that Leghorns do have a tendency to be more aggressive than other breeds but every rooster is different. I've have a couple of Leghorn roosters that were wonderful and easy keepers. But I've had a few that became supper. You just don't know about them until they mature. Give them a while to get used to their male hormones when they start to develop at around 4 months. If they show a lot of aggressive behavior at 6 months then they should be taken out of the flock. Just be prepared for whatever happens and don't make a pet of him. :old
thank you!

It is not about the breed, it is more about the rooster. It is a crapshoot. Be aware.

Are these your first chickens? If so, I would not keep the rooster until you get some experience. Personally I believe you have a slightly better chance of a good rooster if they are raised up under older birds.

Mrs K
this is officially my second time having chickens last time we had 4 girls and 2 boys both rooster ended up in stew one of the rooster scratched my mom making her bleed i told my mom i’m going to introduce the chick how to eat and drink then for about a day or two and then they will be raised under our broody hens thank you

this is officially my second time having chickens last time we had 4 girls and 2 boys both rooster ended up in stew one of the rooster scratched my mom making her bleed i told my mom i’m going to introduce the chick how to eat and drink then for about a day or two and then they will be raised under our broody hens thank you
Actually, the sooner you can get them under a broody the better. She can teach them how to eat and drink and be chickens. How long has she been broody (sitting in her nest night and day, only getting up to eat, drink and poop)?

Actually, the sooner you can get them under a broody the better. She can teach them how to eat and drink and be chickens. How long has she been broody (sitting in her nest night and day, only getting up to eat, drink and poop)?
Thanks i’ll keep that in mind i think two of them have been broody since we removed both roosters from the flock so about 3-4 months!

Usually it's not just about the rooster; it's about the keeper and the others that want access to the chickens.
I read it's gone wrong once and reading between the lines I can imagine why.
The likelyhood is it will go wrong again. One doesn't learn anything from dead roosters unless one is doing a necropsy.
Hope you get all females.

Back
Top Bottom