Leghorns for Meat???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ElizabethAz, Apr 18, 2012.

1. ElizabethAz

ElizabethAz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Az
    Well I know they are not a meat bird...at all.. but I have to cull this weekend, way too many fall hatch left overs that didn't sell.. So the big question is..is it worth trying to salvage any meat off their bony little corpses, or should they just go into the dumpster???? I'm not sure what I would do with such a small bird....Oh, and they are 7 months old--if that makes any difference :/

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you[​IMG]

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

heck.. we eat quail.. pigeons.. bantams.. silkies.. so there's ALWAYS a use for a small bird.. if nothing else they make good soup stock!

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I've butchered leghorns. It's good flavored meat. Smaller than a super market chicken, but bigger than a Cornish game hen.

I wouldn't buy them to raise for meat, but as long as you've already got them, then yes, butcher them. It's worth the effort.

4. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Our first trial meat birds were leghorns. They taste better than supermarket birds. I'd say go for it.

5. ElizabethAz

ElizabethAz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Az
    Glad to hear other people have tried it :)

I have never cooked/prepared cornish game birds...and when we hunt quail/ dove we pull off the breast--and forego the attempt at processing/gutting . So processing a whole tiny bantam sized bird is going to be interesting..

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by