Leghorns not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ashleynicole, Jan 16, 2016.

1. ashleynicole

ashleynicole Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2015
    South Carolina
    Hi so I had a lady give me some white leghorns she was given them as well and had them for 2 weeks before she gave them to me.. She said they did not lay one egg when she had them but the lady she got them from said they did lay at one point and then stopped.. They are 10 months old that's what they tell me and they were free range but the first owner stopped feeding them she just let them free range for food. So I'm thinking nutritional or stress may be the reason for this but would like some input? Will they ever lay again? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Takes a while for a chicken to feel safe enough to lay after being moved to a new home, they will start laying when they feel more comfortable, I would not expect much for a month or two, after that they should be great layers. In the winter eating a feed with higher protein can help with laying as well, so look for something in the 18-20 % for protein.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    If I am reading this correctly, these birds have changed homes twice in very rapid succession recently - moving is a stressor for chickens, and one of the first systems to shut down when stressed is the reproductive system of a hen. It can take several weeks for a bird to return to production after a stress - especially when you factor in potential malnutrition and the limited hours of daylight this time of year -- in short, a perfect storm of potential causes of a disruption of laying. Give them time and provide them a good, solid diet and plenty of fresh water - they will return to production.

1 person likes this.
  4. ashleynicole

Jun 4, 2015
    South Carolina
    Thanks guys for the great info

5. ashleynicole

Jun 4, 2015
    South Carolina
    [​IMG]

Guess they like their new home! I've had them 10 days!!I got my first 2 white eggs today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by