Leghorns or Anconas?

Chef Pizghetti

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 17, 2012
Hello,

First, this is more of a "what do you think" post, than a breed specific post. If it belongs in another forum, plese feel free to move...

I am planning to add a few additional hens this spring and would like to include some white egg layers that will also add some additional productivity to my flock. Everything I have read says that White Leghorns or "California Whites" are the most productive layers of all, with a great food conversion ratio. However, I live in a wooded area and would prefer to have a darker colored bird that will be better camouflaged when free ranging.

Right now, I am considering both Brown Leghorns and Anconas, and am hoping to hear some feedback on the qualities of each (egg productivity, size of eggs, temperament, hardiness, noise, etc.). Any personal experiences (good or bad), or input would be helpful.

Thanks!

Hello,

First, this is more of a "what do you think" post, than a breed specific post. If it belongs in another forum, plese feel free to move...

I am planning to add a few additional hens this spring and would like to include some white egg layers that will also add some additional productivity to my flock. Everything I have read says that White Leghorns or "California Whites" are the most productive layers of all, with a great food conversion ratio. However, I live in a wooded area and would prefer to have a darker colored bird that will be better camouflaged when free ranging.

Right now, I am considering both Brown Leghorns and Anconas, and am hoping to hear some feedback on the qualities of each (egg productivity, size of eggs, temperament, hardiness, noise, etc.). Any personal experiences (good or bad), or input would be helpful.

Thanks!
Brown Leghorns cant be beat at laying eggs(except by other white leghorns) how about blue eggs? Cream legbars are autosexing leghorns, or at least they should be. so they lay very good

So, Legbars retain the laying productivity of Leghorns with a tinted egg? I hadn't done much research on them, so this is good to know.

Thanks!

Anconas and Leghorns are essentially the same thing. You'll find that Brown Leghorns and Anconas lay are equally as good--depending on the strain. All of the qualities abut which you asked are strain specific; so they're as good or as poor as the specific breeders stock, which incidentaly, can be said about many traits that most folk suppose are de facto breed qualities.

Good luck, if you're just planning on ordering from a hatchery, you won't know the difference between and Brown Leghorn or an Ancona's laying ability.

Back
Top Bottom