Leghorns with Brown eggs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by yyz0yyz0, Oct 16, 2015.

1. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    this summer we bought some pullets off CL, 2 white leghorns, 2 barred rocks and a speckled sussex.

They started laying a while ago but we are not seeing any white eggs from the leghorns. A couple of times I've seen a leghorn in the nest box and when I checked it next I found a very warm small brown egg. These are not off white brown, they are really brown much darker brown than our original Wyndotts.

So can leghorns lay brown eggs or did I get a white birds that are a different breed? I noticed RI Whites are all white hens with brown eggs, could that be what I have?

The leghorns don't seem any smaller/thinner than the barred rocks, which are dual purpose birds. So that makes me wonder if they were mislabled as far as the breed they were selling.

Any way to check for certain if they are leghorns? Not that it really matters as we only have two and just wanted leghorns for their production.

thanks

2. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Can you past a photo of them?

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Leghorns should have white earlobes, and lay white eggs. White Rocks have red earlobes, and lay brown eggs. Rhode Island Whites are less common. They all look identical as chicks. They frequently get mixed up.

4. yyz0yyz0

May 2, 2012
    I'll try to get some photos of them later today

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Agreed; if your "White Leghorns" are laying brown eggs, they are almost certainly White Rocks instead of White Leghorns. These two breeds are frequently mixed up here at BYC.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agreed

7. yyz0yyz0

May 2, 2012
    [​IMG]
    One of the eggs we think came from the white hens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    With those white legs and small combs, they look like white Orpingtons.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree; White Rocks have yellow legs and White Leghorns have yellow legs and white earlobes.

10. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I'm going with White rock on these girls. It's really hard to tell what color the legs truly are with that dirt on them. Also, if they are good layers, the legs will be paler. My red sexlinks legs have become a very pale yellowish white since they started laying, so there is still a chance that your hens are white rocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by