Leghorns with weird head feathering?

Isyovi

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
The Netherlands
So we bought 4 leghorns some weeks ago. 3 out of 4 have some weird head feathering, but i have never seen leghorns with those feathers. The father was a black and white leghorn and the mother a normal white leghorn. Is there something going on with genetics or do more leghorn (chicks) have this? I didn't really know where to post this.
20200602_164514.jpg

20200602_164405.jpg

Kind of a blurry picture 😶

Those definitely aren’t Leghorns. They may be Leghorn mixes, but no Leghorn has blue feathering or a crest.
They look more like Legbar mixes with a blue or splash breed mixed in.
Thanks for replying! I thougt because the father was black and white and the mom also white that they were grey (because i'm not that good with genetics) but i never could find out why they looked different from normal leghorn chicks. Maybe the white one is the only 'normal' leghorn 🤷🏼‍♀️

Blue Leghorns do exist, although very rare, but the leg color is a strong hint they are mixed, and the crest is a dead giveaway.
At least one of them has grey legs, and leghorns tend to have yellow i thought. Quite the mistery what they are, but i think legbars are close. Maybe at least one is a leghorn, the one without the crest.

The white one does look like what I'd expect from that cross.
The others definitely not. If they're leghorn crosses it would of had to been the black and white leghorn not a white leghorn.
And if they are from the B&W leghorn I'd say the mom was a white crested blue polish.

Back
Top Bottom