Leghorns

meowoui

Songster
8 Years
Aug 11, 2013
Beaverton
Update: I went outside to put the Shepherd in a closed in area, I heard this thump I looked up and saw two of the leghorns in a mix tub, I knew the tube has hay in it, I put the dog back in the house and peeked out the window and there was three hens in that box, two of the leghorns and a RIR. One of the leghorns stayed in the tub and was tossing leaves around her. Finally we are going to get the eggs from them.

We got our three leghorns in August we were told that they should start laying in Sept. or Oct. well here it is the end of Dec.
not one of the girls has laid their first egg, what gives???? did we get three that won't ever lay an egg??
Two of them have big combs so big that the combs flop over, the other one hers is small still so I figure it is going to be a pea comb
or a rose comb.
They get layer feed as well as oyster shell, grit, free roam out in the yard, water in the coop as well out in the yard.

I have one faithful girl that has been laying every other day. She is a Welsummer all the other seven hens decided that it is time to relax.

We have one who started her relaxing in June, she should not be done laying all her eggs because she is only two. Every so often she gets
what I call eye bubbles in one eye, she will breath a little heavy, I keep and eye on her, so far she has not become any worst with her breathing or a cough
she will be that way for a couple of days, then it is like nothing ever was wrong with her. I watch the others as well to make sure they are not doing
the same thing.

Sorry about the blank page.

Karen

Last edited:
Sounds like one of your hens has a resporitory infection.I would take her to the vet and get that checked out.

But for the others,a RIR shouldn't have any comb other then a regular chickens comb.You will know when you hens are ready to lay becuase the well squat.If they squat when you approach them,that means in less then a week you "should" be expecting eggs.

Our RIR has the regular comb she just was trying to lay with the two leghorns. Our leghorns won't let you get near them to see if they squat. I found out with our other hens that
is when they are ready to lay, I call it the line backer squat.

Back
Top Bottom