Leghorns

sóley

Songster
Feb 4, 2018
What is the different between white leghorn, brown leghorn and black leghorn?

Is it just the color or does it have anything to do with the laying to?
Just curious, I have white but I think the brown and black are really beautiful ❤️

What is the different between white leghorn, brown leghorn and black leghorn?

Is it just the color or does it have anything to do with the laying to?
Just curious, I have white but I think the brown and black are really beautiful ❤️
There is much more than a color difference. White Leghorns have been developed to be a production layer. The ones I have had laid, extra large to jumbo eggs almost daily from POL through 1 1/2 year old and then tapered off drastically. The Rose Comb Brown Leghorns I had, laid medium eggs at a rate of 3 to 5 eggs daily from POL through the 1 1/2 years that I had them.

Feather color. Both Medium size birds. Both white eggs. They both are excellent "fly over the fence" chickens. Brown seems to be more productive.
Both points are true but there is a huge difference in the egg sizes and frequency of laying between the White Leghorn and the other colors. Just check the descriptions at McMurrays.

White Leghorn - egg size - extra large - egg production - best
Red Leghorn - egg size - medium - egg production - excellent
Rose Comb Brown leghorn - egg size - medium - egg production - excellent (not my experience)
Brown Leghorn - egg size - medium - egg production - excellent

There does not appear to be much difference between the various color Leghorns but there is a huge difference when it comes to the White Leghorns which have been developed into a production egg layer.

Both points are true but there is a huge difference in the egg sizes and frequency of laying between the White Leghorn and the other colors. Just check the descriptions at McMurrays.

White Leghorn - egg size - extra large - egg production - best
Red Leghorn - egg size - medium - egg production - excellent
Rose Comb Brown leghorn - egg size - medium - egg production - excellent (not my experience)
Brown Leghorn - egg size - medium - egg production - excellent

There does not appear to be much difference between the various color Leghorns but there is a huge difference when it comes to the White Leghorns which have been developed into a production egg layer.
:goodpost:
I have both white and brown leggies. The only "white egg" layers I have these days. Both breeds are isolated in 2 separate breeding set ups. Various ages but the Browns seem to be more consistent. Thank you for pointing out the differences for me:hugs
I'm always eager to learn!:wee

Back
Top Bottom