Leghorns

I have four leghorn chicks (don't know yet if they are hens or roos) - they are five weeks and so far they are nice birds. I know they are supposed to be nervous, but oddly enough my leghorns are easier to pick up and handle than my other chicks. This may change as they get older. I think people mostly buy leghorns for their laying abilities (as I did).

My RIRs on the other hand.. Except for one (that acts but does not yet look like a roo) they are nervous as heck! Almost pulled my hair out trying to catch them to move them from brooder to coop.
tongue.png

We have 5 hens and they all have largw combs! While they don't really care for you picking them up, ours follow us around and will let you pet them. They also are the most curious! I know a lot of people don't care for them so much, but I do like ours
smile.png

I wanted 30 leghorns for there egg laying. They lay every day and produce big white eggs. Leghorns are flighty, but not always. anyways upon further inspection, i do have some roos. That really makes me mad. I paid way to much for them to begin with being i ordered them special. They were 2.50 apeice. I didnt want to mess with straight run, so i ordered all pullets. Go figure i still got roos. hahaha oh well freezer time. Thanks to all who have helped. You guys are the best. I didnt want to believe i hade roos, but logic doesnt lie. Good Day.

Quote:
If I had farmland and no near neighbors I'd definitely have Leghorns (for laying) and other mediterranean types. And roosters, by golly.

I really like the smaller-bodied shapes but my suburban location means I have calmer, heavier-bodied birds. Sure would like to have a bunch of those velociraptor-looking MG birds running around. :)

Mine is actually pretty nice. I gave away all his brothers cause they were crazy mean (plus too many roos) but this one likes to come hangout with me. Always interested in what I'm doing ect.

Quote:
If you work with them from a young age, they should trust you more. I have six red leghorn pullets and they aren't flightly at all. In fact, when I go visit them, they all swarm trying to see me. I spoiled my little ones from the moment I got them, so that might have been a factor. And they are very good layers I've heard, so that's a plus. Actually I think my girls are beautiful, I love their deep red color. It's a personal decision really, some people like them, some people don't. My avvy is one of my girls when she was just a lil fuzzy butt.
smile.png

Last edited:
I have two leghorns - a roo and a pullett (they were both supposed to be pullets, but oh well!) Mine are both sweet and not nearly as flighty as my little sebrights :D

I have 2 Buffs and 2 Leghorn pullets - the Leghorns like to be held, perch on me, talk to me when I walk by. The Buffs are MUCH flightier, and YELL at me when I pick them up. (We do it anyway!) I def favor the Leghorns from a pet perspective. (Dont tell my hubby I referred to them as pets!)
lol.png

I had a Leghorn roo last yr and we could pick him up and he would go to sleep in our arms. But he died of old age last yr so we got another roo last week as a day old chick so we can be close with it and enjoy it as much as possible and I am going to order some girls for him in a week or two. I am sure all hatcheries cant be 100% so you will find some roos in the mix,

Back
Top Bottom