Legs changing color

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LostAcreFarm, Jun 28, 2010.

1. LostAcreFarm

LostAcreFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2010
    Marshall Va
    i have 3 golden comet hens that are a little more then a year old now. is it normal for their legs to have turned white? when i bought them as 4 month olds their legs were yellow, and all of my other chickens legs havent changed in color (some of them having dark legs and younger golden comets with yellow). so is this normal for the breed?

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    It is common for yellow legged hens to lose pigment in their legs when they are laying. When they molt they should get some of the colour back only to lose it again.
    There's nothing wrong with your hens.

3. StevenMNielson

StevenMNielson Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    Silverdale, WA
    This is a process called 'Bleaching' - it is very useful in determining how lazy of a layer your hen is. If you raise a yellow-skinned breed, you can sort out he less productive hens by the color of their skin after they have been laying a while. The same pigment that makes egg yolk yellow colors the skin of the yellow skinned breeds. When a hen starts laying, the skin of her various body parts bleaches out in a certain order. When she stops laying, the color returns in reverse order. You can therefore tell how long a yellow skinned hen has been laying, or how long ago she stopped laying, by the color of the exposed skin on her beak and legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by