Legs seem paralyzed - two pullets now

I am sorry that I can’t help here, but wanted to offer good thoughts for your birds- and check in so I can follow this thread/ maybe learn something 😊

I am sorry that I can’t help here, but wanted to offer good thoughts for your birds- and check in so I can follow this thread/ maybe learn something 😊
Thank you 🙏 It’s the end result we’re all interested in, and it can be informative if the efforts are successful, or unsuccessful, too, I suppose. Thank you for following 😊

Good evening all 😊

These two are still going. The float test was negative for coccidiosis.

I was prepared to have Stumbler (now totally paralyzed) euthanized yesterday, but I decided to soak her instead in some warm water so I could clean her dirty butt off and trim her butt feathers. Dignity in death 🤷‍♀️ I put her in a crate in my bedroom since she can’t move. She has a voracious appetite and drinks a lot, same with Droopy Wings, who is now in a crate in my bedroom. I’m attaching photos of their poop today. I guess maybe Marek’s? I ordered some home testing kits.

Can a chicken who can’t use their legs or wings turn around from that? I know the answer from some will be “it’s a personal decision”, but what is YOUR opinion on how long to treat an immobilized/partially immobilized chicken?

🙏
5DDC6246-E144-455E-8ACC-0018D7524D84.jpeg
733CCE6D-94F2-474A-8E12-EEDDC21FBC04.jpeg
0BAD9F48-BFB3-48C7-853F-C13766DA8578.jpeg
918AEB56-26E8-4F4D-98B4-6CEBE8E6AC34.jpeg

I'm sorry that they are not getting better.

Are these 2 the same breed and the only 2 of that breed you have?

It does look/sound like Marek's disease, hopefully you will be able to find out more. Since Coccidiosis has been ruled out, I'd get that B-Complex into them and have them eating chick starter or an all flock feed.

Can they recover? No idea. Some people have petted birds along for months and they have eventually gained function, some continue to decline.

That's a good question about how long to treat an immobile/partially immobile chicken.
And yes, it's absolutely a personal decision. Time, housing, personal commitments, work, goals, etc. etc. etc. all have to be considered.
For me, personally, I would not treat for very long.

I'm sorry that they are not getting better.

Are these 2 the same breed and the only 2 of that breed you have?

It does look/sound like Marek's disease, hopefully you will be able to find out more. Since Coccidiosis has been ruled out, I'd get that B-Complex into them and have them eating chick starter or an all flock feed.

Can they recover? No idea. Some people have petted birds along for months and they have eventually gained function, some continue to decline.

That's a good question about how long to treat an immobile/partially immobile chicken.
And yes, it's absolutely a personal decision. Time, housing, personal commitments, work, goals, etc. etc. etc. all have to be considered.
For me, personally, I would not treat for very long.
They are different breeds - a Welbar I purchased from TSC and a mixed baby from my flock. They are part of a flock of 12 that are the same age that have grown up together. I had the Cemani that got sick the same day I noticed the now-paralyzed one, and she was dead the next day.

I am feeding them chick starter, and also fish, which they are gobbling up. I figured, at this point with the fish, what’s the harm. I thought the Marek’s testing was post mortem, but found home tests online. I do know that if we euthanize them, they will go straight to the lab. Or if they die before that.

I appreciate and respect your input. I have time, space, housing, etc., but I also have other chickens that I need to keep healthy. And a really hot summer is upon us, so I suspect I’ll have my plate full.

Poor things. They have really put up a good fight and just keep on going, but I can’t pet them healthy.

Thank you again 😕

Did you send the Cemani in for testing?

I'm very sorry that you're having to deal with this.

Giving them fish is moderation is perfectly fine.

I don't know if I've seen tests you can do at home, are those the ones you send a blood sample back to a lab?

Did you send the Cemani in for testing?

I'm very sorry that you're having to deal with this.

Giving them fish is moderation is perfectly fine.

I don't know if I've seen tests you can do at home, are those the ones you send a blood sample back to a lab?
I did not send the Cemani in; I put her in the refrigerator anticipating the other two would follow in the next day. They stayed with us, and this was on a Friday, and we went out of town on Saturday, so by today, the Cemani would have been past the storage time. I also was considering the fact that the $110 for examination covers up to three birds, and I didn’t want to pay for each one.

I appreciate your thoughts, this has been rather frustrating, but I will get some answers with these two. We have decided to cull tomorrow evening and take to the examiner first thing Wednesday morning. If it’s Marek’s, it will be good to know. I will just hope my OG’s stay healthy and the teenagers and babies get through it.

Here is the website for the mail in testing. I saw it on another thread this week before I decided to cull, and ordered some of the swabs. I’ll update once I get results from the examiner. Thanks for hanging in with me 😊 https://www.vetdna.com/test-type/avian-bird

@Wyorp Rock
Results from necropsy are in - Marek’s. I’m relieved knowing what it is, also stressed knowing what it is. Luckily no one else is sick at the moment, hopefully I can keep it controlled. Thank you so much for the support during all of this.
0ED8BD44-8D77-477D-8CBB-245E4D42FF90.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom